Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I'm behind on reading all of the urbfam posts. I'm finally coming back to earth. Even though I have not yet commented, urbfam, I have read. And I shall comment soon. I get excited and want to read them all at once. My friends are so fucking brilliant.

So I've officially moved into my own apartment for the first time. A one bedroom with high ceilings, hard wood floors, and so much natural light that I'm tempted to wear sunblock while I watch tv. There are eight windows in my three room apartment. I've burned two of my plants on accident by sitting them on my window sill. My aloe vera plant may need to be euthanized. Whatever, she's been a moody bitch for like two years. I keep doing all of these things to make that plant happy and all I get is a miserable looking plant. She looks like a pissed off octopus, twisted and now a little seared. I still feel bad that I burnt the two plants. Maybe I should have done my homework about that. I took it for granted that all of my plants liked high levels of light. Way to be a bad mom - if that had been a kid I'd be behind bars right now.

Also, due to magnificent abundance of natural light combined with the recent heat wave, my living room feels like the inside of an oven. Seriously. I open my front door and a waft of hot air bursts forth. I think that maybe the bathroom may be the hottest room. I was just thinking as I was peeing that I bet if I accidently got splashed with the toilet water it would give me a first degree burn.

But I love it. Oh, I love it.

I thought I would be one of those squeamish girls that was a little afraid to live alone but it turns out that I'm not. I don't know if it's because my boyfriend is a cop that works at the precinct on my street or because I have a knife on my nightstand, but I feel pretty safe here. I wish the lighting was a little better in the front of my building, though.

So my first week of being in my new apartment, I ate cherries and strawberries in my underwear and watched a marathon of Flavor of Love Girls: Charm School followed by a marathon of Carnivale. I have two things to say: I think Mo'Nique is fucking fierce and I am truly annoyed by how dirty everyone in Carnivale is. They just walk around all day covered from head to toe in black dirt. They have sex and kill eachother and basically do everything covered in dirt. I mean I really hate to be nitpicky, but we get it. They're in the heartland and there's lots of dust. There's a shit ton of dust, we get it. But all of the main characters look like they smell terrible and it keeps me from wanting them to succeed. There I said it, okay? I just want to believe that my heros smell good, or at least that they don't have tapeworms from rolling around in filth. A little dirt = hot. A lot of dirt = distracting.

Anyway, here's to new apartments. Here's to beautiful, beautiful natural light. And to big black women and red fruit and cops and to just a little dirt. I love it all.

5 comments:

Alice in Wonderland said...

Here! Here!

I love underwear time. It's the best.

Were you eating the strawberries I bought you in your undies?

happy for you, but still miss you. not gonna lie.

GMEyster said...

OMG, I love this post. This is my favorite part: 'I was just thinking as I was peeing that I bet if I accidently got splashed with the toilet water it would give me a first degree burn.'

I love your writing, Nina. You effing ROCK. Hurrah to your own place, and deserved cherry-eating in your underwear!

Darla said...

This entry is so brilliant, I wish you'd write all the time, I would read you incessently.

I love you.

JasonBSchmidt said...

(renews subscription) More Please!!

Darla said...

Um, I'm with Jason..more please!!!